ITIL Planning, Protection & Optimization
Planning, Protection and Optimization (PPO) Certificate is a freestanding qualification, but is also part of the ITIL Intermediate Capability stream, and one of the modules that leads to the ITIL Expert Certificate in IT Service Management. The purpose of this training module and the associated exam and certificate is, respectively, to impart, test, and validate the knowledge on industry practices in service management as documented in the ITIL Service Lifecycle core publications.
Candidates can expect to gain competencies in the following areas upon successful completion of the education and examination components related to this certification:
- Service design in PPO and lifecycle context.
- Processes across the service lifecycle pertaining to the practice elements within planning, protection and optimization.
- Capacity management as a capability to realize successful service design.
- Availability management as a capability to realize successful service design.
- IT service continuity management as a capability to support overall business continuity management.
- Information security management as part of the overall corporate governance framework.
- Technology and implementation considerations.
- Organizational roles relevant to PPO.
- The target group of the ITIL® Intermediate Qualification:Planning, Protection and Optimization Certificate includes, but is not restricted to: IT professionals, Business managers, Business process owners.
- Individuals who require a deep understanding of how the ITIL® Certificate in the Planning, Protection and Optimization processes may be used to enhance the quality of IT service support within an organization.
- IT professionals who are working within an organization that has adopted and adapted ITIL®, and who need to be informed about, and thereafter contribute to, an ongoing service improvement programme.
- Operational staff involved in capacity management, availability management, ITSCM, information security management, and demand management, and who wish to enhance their role-based capabilities.
- Individuals who have attained the ITIL® Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management and wish to advance to higher level ITIL® certifications.
- Individuals seeking the ITIL® Expert Certificate in IT Service Management for which this qualification can be one of the prerequisite modules.
- Individuals seeking progress toward the ITIL® Master Certificate in IT Service Management for which the ITIL® Expert is a prerequisite.
- At least 30 contact hours (hours of instruction, excluding breaks, with an Accredited Training Organization (ATO) or an accredited e-learning solution) for this syllabus, as part of a formal, approved training course/scheme.
- 2 to 4 years’ professional experience working in IT service management is highly desirable. Hold the ITIL® Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management (or other appropriate earlier ITIL® and bridge qualifications)
- It is also recommended that candidates should complete at a minimum of 12 hours of personal study by reviewing the syllabus and the pertinent areas within the ITIL® Planning, Protection and Optimization core guidance in preparation for the examination.
- IIntroduction to PPO.
- Capacity Management.
- Availability Management.
- Demand Management.
- Information Security Management.
- IT Service Continuity Management.
- PPO Roles and Responsibilities.
- Technology and Implementation considerations.
- Summary, exam preparation and direct studies.
The ITIL Certificate in Planning, Protection and Optimization is intended to enable the holders of the certificate to apply PPO practices during the service management lifecycle and specifically in the following key ITIL process and role areas:
- Capacity management.
- Availability management.
- IT service continuity management. (ITSCM)
- Information security management.
- Demand management.